Monday, November 15, 2010

Stockpiling for Giving














It's November and time for Giving Thanks for what we have! We also usually take a few moments and try to bless others by giving back to those who may not have as much as we do. I like to do this throughout the year not just at Thanksgiving time!!

I feel very blessed that God has allowed me to learn how to use coupons to save my family money. I stockpile like none other I tell ya. I stock up when I can on whatever I can....given I know my family will use it.

However, there are some things I stock up on for other reasons. I stockpile for Giving! What is that you may ask.......There are items that I know my family won't use but I stock pile those items for times like this when I can donate them to those in need. Or when the neighbor mentions they are having a rough month financially I can throw together a quick couple bags of food or toiletries and be able to Bless their home as well as mine.

There is something about being able to help a friend in need that will change your life forever! And when you Give your kids see that and it impacts them in a way you will never know!

Last night I spent hours doing our budget for the second half of the month of November. We do an overall monthly budget but this month the second half of the month needed to be majorly tweaked. You know those months you have two, three, or even four unexpected expenses come up and you just aren't sure how it's all going to work out. Well all that needs to be paid is getting paid!! Grocery funds were cut in half for this two weeks....not ideal but when you look at the big picture it's ok if there isn't chips, soda and dinners out. (yes I did just say it would be OK with NO Soda!) We may not always have what we want to eat but the Hill family will have plenty of food to last until the next payday.

I tell you this because I opened up my Son's backpack this morning and found this list of items that they are collecting to donate to a local charity that is in need of re stocking their supplies. It's amazing how God works thru a paper like this. We don't have extra funds this month to purchase donations....but notice the first two items on the list of needs....Shampoo/Conditioner and Dish washing soap....My stockpile has more than enough of those items along with the Mac & Cheese and Ketchup. Most of these items I was able to get for free or close to free.

So even when our budgets might be tight and we may seem discouraged God still gives us opportunities to be Christ to someone else in our Communities.

So my question/challenge to you is "How is your Stockpile able to bless others this season?"

No comments: